Saturday, June 4, 2011

Q & A so far

I continue to be so pleased by Quincy.  He is so smart and loving.  Quincy has been working hard on walking quietly beside me when I take his treats out to the pasture.  He had been backing up in front of me, dancing around, and trying to hurry me.  Now he will walk beside me, stop when I stop, and waits patiently for me to set his bucket down.
Quincy wants attention all of the time.  He craves it to the point that he will often crowd a person to get it.  He is learning that crowding will not get him the scritches that he wants.  When he stands at a respectful space he will get his scritches and loves. 
I have started putting blue goo on his rear.  Horseman's Dream Veterinary Cream is really good at helping keep his bare skin from sunburning or cracking.  I do not use a halter on Quincy when I doctor him, apply fly spray, or clean his feet.  He does have a pattern that he wants his feet done in.  Front left, right hind, right front, and left hind is the preferred order.  Try and clean his feet in a different order and it bothers him, small change for me to make to have him stand nicely.
The detox he has been on has helped greatly with the flakiness of his coat.  He has one more week of that to go.  His demeanour is calm and he responds well to new people.  He ignores the ranch dog, except for the time that he thought the dog might be hurting my son-then he just came over to me and asked for help.  His weight is holding well, he was 1,053 this evening.
Tomorrow we are going on a walkabout and possibly put on a saddle blanket and cinch him up with a surcingle
"It's the little things that make a big difference"

No comments:

Post a Comment