Saturday, June 11, 2011

Stinky Face....

Today Another planned on putting me in a pasture with a friend.  I am not sure why I needed to move since they put a horse next door to me.  Another said I would like having a friend.  I was busy trying to impress the horse next door so I wasn't listening to anything she said.
Another took me out to the alley so we could make our way to the new pasture.  I walked good for a bit and then I lost my mind.  Deep grass, horses to sniff, deep grass, a wheel barrow, and deep grass.  Yep I pulled a few shenanigans the Another made her "stinky face" at me.  I managed to escape her, she was using the short line-I never can escape on the long line.  I threw a bit of a tantrum, okay a big spoiled brat tantrum, about having to go back to the old pasture.  Another made me do some tasks when I got back to the pasture.  She wanted me to pay attention to her and forget about the grass and other horses.  She says we have work to do with me paying attention to her at all times.  Another says that loosing my mind is not a good thing.
Another also felt that maybe I was being asked to deal with too much.  Horses being moved, our first walk about outside the pasture, and the tempting grass.  Then she remember what Temple Grandin said at a conference, "Bad behavior is bad behavior and there are no excuses."
"It's the little things that make a big difference"

2 comments:

  1. I have thought about the Lunge for hours and hours over the years. I have wondered what would happen if there was a horse walking or being ridden next to him, if he was ponied, if he was led with long lines and a full cheek snaffle - sort of like being driven from beside so when he lunged he could actually be driven back around in a circle. When Quincy does the Lunge, it feels exactly like a temper tantrum. He wants something and FORGET ABOUT YOU! I sure am looking forward to seeing the Lunge transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red,
    When the long line is on he will lunge and I have enough line to get his hid quarters turned around. A friend watched what he does yesterday. He tips his nose slightly to the right and is gone-just like Clint tolds me he does. It is such a slight motion that if you are not looking right at him you miss it. I am going to try leading him in the alley from the right side. I talked about using a surcigle and driving him also. The other thing may be to use a ring on the surcirgle to give some leverage with the short line.
    He is a bit spoiled and wants his own way...big boy with big opinions. Nice thing is he doesn't have a mean bone in his body and wants to do the right thing.
    The irrisitable force has met the imovable object.

    ReplyDelete